The Mojave desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) is federally listed as a threatened species north and west of the Colorado River under the Endangered Species Act. Monitoring occurs during April and May to coincide with the peak activity season of desert tortoises. The Technical Support Specialist will participate in a rigorous 4-week training program to demonstrate proficiency in following monitoring protocols thoroughly and precisely, and in backcountry field skills including 4WD vehicle operation, the use of GPS, topographic maps, and PDA technology.
The Technical Support Specialist will have two roles:
(Primary) Data quality assurance/quality control (QA/QC) and database management and delivery. The Technical Support Specialist will focus on QA/QC of field data, and will play a key role in ensuring the effective and efficient collection and delivery of monitoring data. The responsibilities of this position include assuring all technical equipment is functioning properly, downloading field data from RDAs to a central laptop computer at designated field sites, providing prompt feedback to field technicians to improve data collection, and editing the electronic database to ensure that the database and paper data sheets are complete, accurate and consistent. Database management will include weekly submission of raw and edited databases to project partners.
(Secondary) GIS support, including mapping routes and tracking assigned and completed transects. The Technical Support Specialist will also create transect maps using ArcGIS and related mapping software, and will play a vital role in facilitating the effective and efficient collection of monitoring data. The Technical Support Specialist will work directly with administrative and field personnel to coordinate logistics, and to create and organize maps to ensure that all transects are successfully completed during the field season.
The Technical Support Specialist will work directly with the DT Program Coordinator and other program staff to train and schedule other seasonal field staff, maintain field equipment and conduct equipment inventories. This position will require extensive travel to and from field sites, and may require camping with field crews, as well as long hours, including early mornings and weekends.
- $1,520.00 biweekly salary
- Health and Dental benefits
- Paid personal leave
August 24, 2015 – October 29, 2015Contract & Timeline:
- Full-time, 40 hours per week
- Weekend and/or overtime hours may be required during field season
Location: Clark County, NV (Las Vegas)
- Bachelor’s degree with experience collecting field data and GIS experience, applicants with a Master’s degree encouraged to apply;
- Extensive knowledge and experience using hand-held GPS units and/or Junos/PDA equipment;
- Extensive experience using Microsoft Access and Pendragon Forms;
- Experience collecting field data and handling electronic data;
- Knowledge and experience developing, using, and manipulating databases;
- Experience conducting data QA/QC;
- Proficient working knowledge of the use of ArcGIS 9.0 or higher, as well as other related mapping software;
- Ability to read and navigate using topographic maps;
- Knowledge of southwestern/Mojave flora and fauna desirable;
- Knowledge of desert tortoise natural history and habitat requirements desirable;
- Must be a motivated self-starter and very detail oriented;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment;
- Ability to communicate effectively with field technicians, as well as peers and supervisors;
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude in challenging situations;
- Willingness to work a variable schedule (including weekends) that may change with little or no notice;
- Willingness to camp in the desert backcountry;
- Possess a valid, clean, state-issued driver’s license; and
- Ability to operate a 4WD vehicle on- or off-road.
All offers of employment are conditional upon passing National Sex Offender Public Registry (NSOPR) and federal criminal background checks.
How to Apply:
Qualified and interested applicants should forward a cover letter, résumé, and list of three professional references to Amy Gladding, at email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone inquiries, please.
We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.