In cooperation with the National Park Service Joshua Tree National Park (JOTR), the Great Basin Institute is recruiting a Restoration Technician to support resource management and restoration at JOTR, and focus on the following duties: Restoring disturbed sites (revegetation, watering, monitoring); assisting with exotic plant eradication; assisting the nursery manager with plant propagation and nursery maintenance; organizing and maintaining GIS and other databases; and assisting with other resource management projects. Orientation and safety trainings will be presented throughout the year.
- Health and Dental Benefits
- July-August 2015 – July-August 2016, possibility of extension pending positive performance review and funding availability
- Full time, 40 hours per week, possibly including some weekends
Location: Joshua Tree National Park encompasses nearly 800,000 acres in southern California.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, restoration ecology, botany, environmental studies/science, wilderness management or related discipline;
- Experience in performing field work, and applying methodological protocols for collecting field data;
- Familiarity with invasive/exotic plant species and associated resource issues, and experience in performing weed inventories, treatment and monitoring;
- Experience in applying revegetation and other restoration techniques;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with a diverse audience;
- Experience using hand-held GPS equipment for data collection and navigation;
- Ability to read and navigate using topographic maps and a compass;
- Experience using ArcGIS software;
- Familiarity with the flora of the Mojave and Colorado/Sonoran Deserts preferred;
- Willingness and ability to work, hike, and lift, carry and use equipment in harsh, variable desert conditions;
- Willingness to work a variable schedule, possibly including some weekends; and
- Valid, state-issued driver’s license and familiarity driving 4WD vehicles on unimproved roads.
How to Apply: Qualified and interested applicants should forward a cover letter, their résumé, and a list of three professional references to Amy Gladding at email@example.com. Please include where you found this position posted. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone inquiries, please.
We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit Retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.