Description: The Great Basin Institute seeks an AmeriCorps Logistics Assistant to support our field programs in Southern Nevada. The Logistics Assistant will assist in lining out project work in conjunction with GBI and project partner staff. This will include helping to flag trail corridor, record measureable data from trail construction projects, and help perform office and field related functions to support GBI’s fleet of vehicles, hand tools, and support equipment. This person will assist in maintaining accurate inventories, maintaining tools and vehicles to the best of their ability and seeking out professional help when necessary. This person will also assist in tracking project data and utilizing ArcGIS to help in project analysis and reporting.
Reports To: GBI Associate Director
Essential Office Functions and Duties:
- Assist with updates to monthly inventory of all tools, equipment, personal protective equipment, first aid supplies, and uniforms used by the Nevada Conservation Corps Las Vegas field office. Work with Reno field office to develop and monitor statewide inventory;
- Populate and create databases to track project progressions and crew accomplishments;
- Catalogue and review crew photo and GPS project documentation;
- Use ArcGIS to create project maps for reporting and data tracking purposes;
- Assist NCC program in completing project reports and trail logs for NCC project partners;
- Assist NCC program in maintaining and organizing project photo documentation;
- Assist in providing training of proper tool use and maintenance; and
- Participate in weekly NCC and GBI Staff meetings to ensure tasks are being carried out.
Essential Field Functions and Duties:
- Conduct field work and support field crews with lining out project work. Performing quality assurance inspections;
- Drive full-sized pick-up trucks regularly, potentially with trailer towing and maneuvering;
- Meet crews for staging and de-rigging each week;
- Assist with fleet management out of the Las Vegas Field;
- Assist in maintenance of facilities;
- Repair tools and equipment when needed and feasible;
- Communicate regularly with field crew Tool Managers and Supervisors, ensuring that crews have equipment needed to perform project tasks;
- Lift heavy loads periodically; this position can be very physical at times; and
- This position may require the ability to perform duties on weekends, early mornings, and evenings.
Compensation: This is an AmeriCorps position, and will receive a living allowance of $8,000 for the duration of the contract. This is not an hourly wage or a salary and is paid to the member every two weeks throughout the contracted time period. Upon completion of AmeriCorps service, the member shall receive an additional education award in the amount of $2,822 that can be used for paying off qualified student loans, or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college or program.
During the contract period, this position may allow for training in: trail building, chainsaw use/maintenance, off-road driving, first aid, and other necessary trainings inherent to conservation work.
Timeline: This is a six month position with a start date July 1, 2015 or upon availability, ending December 31, 2015.
Location: Position will start in Las Vegas, NV
- Meet AmeriCorps eligibility requirements: (1) U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status, (2) must be at least 17 years of age and a US citizen that has received a high school diploma or GED (or be willing to achieve this before using education award), (3) eligible to receive the AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime, or equivalent of two full-time terms of service), and (4) pass National Sex Offender Public Registry (NSOPR) and federal criminal background checks.
- Valid, state-issued driver’s license;
- Experience with single-track trail construction, layout, and design highly desirable
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and data entry;
- Experience with GPS and ArcGIS highly desirable;
- Strongly developed organizational skills;
- Ability to lift 50lbs;
- Ability to multi-task and troubleshoot on a daily basis;
- Experience with vehicles and small engines is desirable but not required;
- Experience operating hand tools, chainsaws, generators, and other tools related to conservation projects is desired but not required;
- Experience driving/backing a trailer desired but not required;
- Must be able serve on a flexible schedule including evenings, early mornings, and weekends;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with a diverse audience;
- Occasional field time and camping will be required;
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
To Apply: Qualified and interested applicants should forward a cover letter, their résumé, and a list of three professional references to Jason Behrens, GBI HR Associate, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include where you found this position posted.
The Great Basin Institute conforms to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.
These AmeriCorps positions are made possible by a generous grant from the Nevada Commission for National and Community Service.
*For more details see: http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps
These positions do not duplicate work of previous or existing employees or volunteers, supplant the hiring of workers, or include service or duties that have been performed or were performed by a current employee, an employee who recently resigned or was discharged, an employee subject to a reduction in work force, or an employee who is on leave.