GBI COVID-19 Steps for Positive Cases
To maintain The Great Basin Institute’s duty and commitment to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting a process for employees when they have a tested positive for COVID-19.
This process is meant to safeguard the health of our employees, AmeriCorps members, families, partners, corps members, and the communities in which we live and serve. While COVID-19 vaccinations significantly reduce risk of transmission, we understand that positive cases are unavoidable.
This process for handling positive COVID-19 cases is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health authorities, as applicable.
Supervisor Reporting & Tracking – Any employee that tests positive for COVID-19, regardless of vaccination status, is required to report to their supervisor time and date tested and when symptoms began. Supervisors are to complete the following steps:
- Complete and File a GBI Incident Report Form, including names of known GBI employee and Partner Agency close contacts, and notify Deputy Director and HR – Programs(G:) > Safety > Incident Reports > 2022 > Select Appropriate Folder
- Complete Covid Tracking Spreadsheet by Program – Programs(G:) > Safety > Covid-19 > Covid-19 Program Tracking Spreadsheets
- CA based employees and volunteers with positive Covid-19 test results must be reported to Workers Compensation. Please notify HR whether or not the employee/volunteer is CA based.
Employee Responsibility – Employees that test positive for COVID-19 are required to follow CDC Guidance for Isolation and Quarantine:
- All Close Contacts of COVID Positive case to provide proof of Negative Test before returning to work.
- Current CDC guidance has a 5 day waiting period from time of close contact until you test, assuming you are not symptomatic; however, whether you had COVID in the last 90 days and if you are fully vaccinated, impact recommended quarantine and testing timelines.
- Furthermore, if you are fully vaccinated without symptoms, you are cleared to be in public but should wear a mask when unable to practice social distancing or indoors.
- For all COVID positive Fully Vaccinated employees, must complete CDC recommended 5 day quarantine before returning to work. For all COVID positive Un-Vaccinated employees, must complete CDC recommended 10 day quarantine before returning to work. Potential remote work may be available depending on the position and partnership agreement.
- All symptomatic employees should report symptoms to GBI Supervisor immediately and not report to work, if possible, until they receive a Negative Test result.
Quarantine and Isolation Tool. Please refer to the CDC Quarantine and Isolation Calculator to determine how long you need to isolate, quarantine, or take other steps to prevent spreading COVID-19.